Video Over Remote Desktop in Windows 7
After hearing on the Engadget HD podcast recently that Remote Desktop in Windows 7 supports playing videos I decided to try play some files on our Media Center PC on another PC in our house. The Media Center PC is running Windows 7 Ultimate and the other PC is running Windows 7 Professional. Here is what I found:
- No videos can be played from within the Media Center application itself.
- Garden variety MPEG2 files can be played from within Windows Media Player (these were home videos transcoded with the Vegas Video MPEG encoder).
- DVDs ripped into MPEG2 files that still have the AC3 can be played, but there is no sound.
- HD MPEG4 files (720p) play without any problem.
- Attempting to play WTV files recorded by Media Center in Windows Media Player results in a single frame with no sound being shown. The time indicator reflects that the file is being played, but what is shown on the screen does not change unless you manually move to a different location using the scrub bar.